If you have recently completed a fashion degree and don’t know what to do next, fear not! You are certainly not alone. Many graduates find themselves questioning their career options after obtaining a fashion degree, but there are actually many options available for those with this type of qualification.
In this article, we will be exploring some of the best opportunities out there for those with a fashion degree – from working in retail or luxury design firms to becoming an influential stylist or even starting your own clothing line.
- With a fashion degree, you can have the opportunity to pursue a career in an exciting and creative industry.
- You will gain knowledge in design principles, business operations, textiles, and marketing that applies to many different aspects of the fashion world.
- Having a degree makes it easier for employers to recognize your qualifications and trust you with more responsibilities within their organization.
- A fashion degree is also beneficial if you want to build your own fashion-related business or freelance as a designer or stylist.
- The skills and experiences gained from studying for a Fashion Degree can be applied beyond just the traditional roles in the sector such as retail management or product development – they are highly transferable which gives graduates an edge over other job seekers when looking for employment outside of fashion too!
12 Jobs You Can Do With A Fashion Degree
1. Fashion Designer
A career as a Fashion Designer is an exciting and rewarding job for those who possess the talent, vision and drive to succeed in this creative field. With a fashion degree, you can launch your own label or work with renowned designers creating new looks that will make waves in the industry.
You’ll be responsible for researching current trends, sketching designs, selecting fabrics and materials to complete garments or accessories, creating patterns for clothing items from scratch, or preparing technical sketches of proposed pieces. Working as a Fashion Designer also involves working directly with clients to create customized pieces that reflect their unique style.
Fashion Designer Job Responsibilities
- Create original designs for apparel, accessories, and footwear.
- Interpret trends in color, fabric, texture, and silhouette.
- Plan production budgets and oversee the final product from concept to completion.
Fashion Designer Median Salary$54,967 Annual
2. Fashion Merchandiser
Fashion Merchandiser is an exciting career that can be pursued with a fashion degree. It involves selecting, purchasing, and organizing apparel for retail stores according to the season’s trends and customer preferences.
A Fashion Merchandiser must have great organizational skills, a strong understanding of fashion trends as well as excellent communication and interpersonal abilities in order to succeed in this role. This job also requires staying up-to-date on emerging styles and market research in order to create attractive product displays that entice customers into buying clothing from the store.
Fashion Merchandiser Job Responsibilities
- Develop product lines and conduct market research to determine customer preferences for fashion trends.
- Source materials, negotiate terms with vendors, and manage the production of new items.
- Analyze sales figures, and adjust pricing and inventory levels to maximize profits for the organization.
Fashion Merchandiser Median Salary$49,461 Annual
3. Fashion Journalist
A Fashion Journalist is a great job option for those with a fashion degree. They write and report on the latest trends and products in the fashion industry, giving their readers an insight into the world of style. They may interview designers to learn more about upcoming collections or attend shows to review styles and take pictures.
A passion for clothing, beauty, accessories, and culture are necessary components of this job that will help keep their readers engaged. With strong research skills as well as creativity when it comes to writing stories, Fashion Journalists can create captivating articles allowing them to make their mark in this exciting field!
Fashion Journalist Job Responsibilities
- Research the fashion industry and generate ideas for stories and articles.
- Interview designers, stylists, models, and other fashion industry professionals to obtain information for articles.
- Attend runway shows, trunk sales, store openings or special events related to the fashion industry.
Fashion Journalist Median Salary$50,452 Annual
4. Fashion Marketing
Fashion Marketing is a career path that is perfect for those who have studied fashion and want to use their knowledge of the industry in a professional setting. It involves creating campaigns, brand identity, working with clients and designers, as well as other aspects related to the promotion of clothing lines.
A degree in fashion can provide invaluable skills such as an understanding of styling and tailoring techniques, color theory application expertise, trend forecasting skills, plus digital marketing and advertising experience. With this knowledge combined with creativity and business acumen, it’s possible to build an exciting career in fashion marketing!
Fashion Marketing Job Responsibilities
- Develop strategies to promote fashion products and services.
- Monitor trends in the industry and analyze customer feedback.
- Establish relationships with key influencers, such as bloggers and media outlets, to help build brand awareness.
Fashion Marketing Median Salary$70,034 Annual
5. Fashion Stylist
A career as a Fashion Stylist is a great option for those with a degree in fashion. As a fashion stylist, you are responsible for creating looks that will be worn by celebrities or models on the runway, in advertisements, and in other media outlets.
You must have an eye for style and trends to excel in this job, but having knowledge of fabrics, colors and textures can also be beneficial. With your fashion degree, you can use your creative talents coupled with industry experience to create stunning looks that awe audiences.
Fashion Stylist Job Responsibilities
- Research fashion trends and select clothing items to create a cohesive look for clients.
- Assist clients in choosing garments that reflect their individual style, body type, and lifestyle.
- Coordinate accessories, hairstyles, and makeup to complete the desired look.
Fashion Stylist Median Salary$46,674 Annual
6. Fashion Production Manager
This job entails managing the production of various collections and making sure all timelines, budget constraints, quality control, and customer service are met. As a Fashion Production Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing the entire process from concept to delivery ensuring that everything runs smoothly.
With your fashion degree, you have the knowledge it takes to understand how fabrics move through different processes and can provide key insights into improving efficiency or cost-saving methods in order to improve the overall outcome of any given product or collection.
Fashion Production Manager Job Responsibilities
- Oversee the entire production process for fashion collections, from concept to completion.
- Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers, vendors, and freelancers to ensure quality products.
- Monitor costs and timelines while ensuring that product standards are met at each stage of production.
Fashion Production Manager Median Salary$55,128 Annual
7. Pattern Maker
A Pattern Maker is a great job to have if you have a fashion degree. They are responsible for creating the patterns used in designing garments and other textile items. It requires knowledge of different fabrics, measurements, and pattern-making techniques in order to create these patterns accurately.
With this knowledge, they can then help designers create fashionable clothing that fits their intended customers perfectly. There are many opportunities available to those with a fashion degree who wish to pursue this career path!
Pattern Maker Job Responsibilities
- Create patterns and templates for garments based on designs.
- Modify existing patterns to ensure they meet design specifications while maintaining quality standards.
- Connect sections of fabric using seam allowances to create a garment piece that will fit together.
Pattern Maker Median Salary$46,914 Annual
8. Retail manager
A retail manager job is a great career option for those with a degree in fashion. It involves managing the store, ensuring customer satisfaction, and overseeing staff. Retail managers need to be organized and have excellent communication skills as well as an understanding of the fashion industry.
With this role, you will have the opportunity to use your knowledge of fashion trends to help customers find what they are looking for and ensure that their needs are met. A retail manager can also contribute to marketing campaigns by helping create promotional materials or online content related to specific products or services.
Retail manager Job Responsibilities
- Supervising the day-to-day activities of retail staff, such as sales clerks, cashiers, and stock personnel.
- Creating effective sales strategies to promote products and services in the store.
- Ensuring compliance with store policies and regulations as well as government laws and regulations.
Retail manager Median Salary$49,854 Annual
9. Visual Merchandiser
A Visual Merchandiser is a creative professional who helps to showcase and promote fashion items in retail stores. With a fashion degree, you can become a Visual Merchandiser and help retailers create exciting store displays that draw in customers.
You will get to work with the latest trends, explore innovative concepts, and develop visually appealing displays that keep shoppers engaged while they browse. As a Visual Merchandiser, you will have the opportunity to use your creativity to bring products to life in order for customers to make purchases.
Visual Merchandiser Job Responsibilities
- Create attractive visual displays that highlight a store’s products and promotions.
- Research current trends, materials, styles, and colors in the market to ensure displays are up-to-date.
- Develop floor plans for stores based on customer needs, sales data, and product availability.
Visual Merchandiser Median Salary$37,669 Annual
10. Fashion Technical Designer
As a technical designer, you will have the opportunity to create designs from concept through completion by utilizing your expertise in fabrics, construction techniques, silhouettes, trends, and production processes. You will be responsible for creating prototypes as well as overseeing the manufacturing process of each garment.
This position requires creativity and excellent communication skills to effectively collaborate with other designers within the company or suppliers outside of it. With a degree in fashion, you can pursue this career path and make meaningful contributions to the industry while working at some of today’s top fashion brands!
Fashion Technical Designer Job Responsibilities
- Create technical specifications and production patterns for garments.
- Monitor the fit, construction, and quality of samples throughout the development process.
- Communicate with manufacturing partners to ensure that design intent is accurately translated into a product.
Fashion Technical Designer Median Salary$54,456 Annual
11. Brand Manager
A Brand Manager is a position that those with a fashion degree can pursue. This job involves taking brands and developing strategies to increase their market visibility, create consumer awareness, and ultimately drive sales.
It requires strong communication, negotiation, and marketing skills in order to stay abreast of trends within the industry and find ways to get the brand’s message out through various channels such as social media and traditional advertising platforms. Those with a fashion degree should consider this role if they are looking for a career path that combines creativity with business acumen.
Brand Manager Job Responsibilities
- Develop and implement marketing strategies to increase brand awareness, sales, and customer loyalty.
- Monitor market trends and competitive landscape to identify opportunities for growth.
- Create content campaigns that effectively communicate the brand message and values across digital channels.
Brand Manager Median Salary$67,689 Annual
12. Fashion Blogger
Fashion Blogger is a great job for those with a passion for fashion and the ability to write. As a Fashion Blogger, you can use your degree in fashion to share ideas, trends, tips, and advice about current styles or create content related to upcoming collections from big-name designers.
You will be responsible for creating interesting topics that engage readers while also providing entertaining information on fashion trends. A successful Fashion Blogger will have an understanding of the industry and how it changes over time as well as knowledge of what looks good on different body types.
Fashion Blogger Job Responsibilities
- Create content around fashion trends and styles.
- Connect with other influencers in the fashion industry.
- Promote products and brands through social media platforms.