Are you unsure of what to do after completing a degree in Computer Information Systems? Don’t worry, as this article will provide an overview of the best available options for those who have graduated with this type of degree.
We’ll explore some common career paths such as software engineering, IT management and consulting, cybersecurity, web development and data analytics. Additionally, we’ll look at more specialized positions like systems analyst or network architect.
- A computer information systems degree will give you the skills and knowledge to pursue a range of rewarding careers in the tech industry.
- The job market is currently booming for computer information systems professionals, with salaries averaging higher than those of other IT jobs.
- With a CIS degree, it’s possible to gain expertise in both hardware and software engineering, as well as network security and database management – all essential for the success of any organization today.
- Working with computers can be incredibly satisfying; our increasingly interconnected world means there are always new challenges to tackle in developing more sophisticated solutions for businesses big or small!
- A CIS degree provides an excellent foundation for further study, such as advanced degrees in data analytics or cybersecurity if you wish to develop your knowledge even further down the line!
20 Jobs You Can Do With A Computer Information Systems Degree
1. Computer Systems Analyst
Computer system analysts play a critical role in bridging the gap between technology, business operations and users by assessing the needs of customers or organizations, identifying potential solutions to problems or challenges, and formulating strategies for implementing new technologies.
Analysts must have strong problem-solving skills and be adept at creating technical documentation that accurately reflects customer/organizational requirements. With this type of degree, individuals can pursue roles such as software developer, network administrator or data analyst – all while helping companies achieve their technological goals.
Computer Systems Analyst Job Responsibilities
- Analyzing the organization’s current computer systems and procedures and formulating plans for improvement.
- Designing, developing, testing, implementing and maintaining modified systems based on user needs.
- Documenting IT processes, policies and procedures to ensure system reliability and compliance with standards.
Computer Systems Analyst Median Salary$79,312 Annual
2. Information Systems Manager
An Information Systems Manager is a great career for those with a Computer Information Systems degree. These individuals are responsible for overseeing the entire information systems infrastructure within an organization and ensuring it runs smoothly and efficiently. This includes managing software development, IT support staff, network operations, data management processes, security compliance procedures, and other related tasks.
With this job, you will have the opportunity to use your degree in various roles such as project leadership or technical services while taking on the responsibility of maintaining the health of an organization’s computer information systems.
Information Systems Manager Job Responsibilities
- Design, implement and manage IT systems to meet the organization’s business objectives.
- Oversee installation and maintenance of hardware, software and network infrastructures.
- Monitor system performance and troubleshoot any technical issues that arise.
Information Systems Manager Median Salary$105,543 Annual
3. Computer and Information Systems Manager
As a Computer and Information Systems Manager, you would be responsible for planning, coordinating, and directing the activities of various computer-related jobs within an organization.
With a degree in Computer Information Systems, you will have the knowledge to know how to design and implement computer systems that are efficient and secure. Additionally, you’ll be able to manage IT teams with your technical expertise while also understanding how business works so that your projects can help the organization succeed.
Computer and Information Systems Manager Job Responsibilities
- Design and implement computer systems to support organizational goals.
- Manage and monitor the performance of existing computer systems, networks, and software applications.
- Develop strategies for data security, disaster recovery, system upgrades, and maintenance requirements.
Computer and Information Systems Manager Median Salary$76,347 Annual
4. Technical Support Specialist
A Technical Support Specialist is a great career path for those with a Computer Information Systems degree. This job requires an expert level of knowledge in both hardware and software systems, as well as excellent customer service skills.
As a Technical Support Specialist, you will provide assistance to customers who are having difficulty using their products or services. You will work closely with clients to solve their technical issues quickly and efficiently while maintaining professionalism and friendliness throughout the process.
Technical Support Specialist Job Responsibilities
- Assist customers with product installation, configuration and troubleshooting.
- Respond to customer inquiries regarding technical software and hardware usage issues.
- Develop and maintain knowledge base articles related to products and services offered by the company.
Technical Support Specialist Median Salary$50,265 Annual
5. It Manager
An IT Manager is a great career for someone with a computer information systems degree. This role involves managing the people, processes and technology related to an organization’s computing needs. IT Managers oversee daily operations, including network security, database management and software development.
They are also responsible for assessing the effectiveness of current systems and developing strategies to increase efficiency in both technical areas and cost savings. With their expertise in computers and technology, these professionals make sure that all components of an organization’s communication infrastructure work together seamlessly.
It Manager Job Responsibilities
- Design and implement IT solutions that meet the needs of the business.
- Manage, maintain and troubleshoot computer systems, networks and applications.
- Develop strategies for data security, disaster recovery and system backups.
It Manager Median Salary$99,038 Annual
6. Software Engineer
Software Engineers are responsible for developing, testing, and maintaining software systems that make computers and other devices operate efficiently. With a Computer Information Systems (CIS) degree, you can become a Software Engineer with the ability to develop and design applications that help people work smarter. You will also be able to deploy complex IT solutions and provide technical support when needed.
Additionally, CIS degrees allow students to gain in-depth knowledge on topics such as programming languages, software engineering practices, database management systems, computer networks and more. This provides an invaluable foundation of skills necessary for success in this career field.
Software Engineer Job Responsibilities
- Developing and testing software programs, applications, and operating systems.
- Troubleshooting existing software programs for errors or performance issues.
- Participating in the design, development, and maintenance of new or existing software projects.
Software Engineer Median Salary$90,515 Annual
7. Market Research Analyst
As a Market Research Analyst, you can use the skills and knowledge gained from a Computer Information Systems degree to analyze customer data, identify trends in consumer behavior, and forecast future market needs. You will be responsible for gathering data on competitors’ activities and assessing customer preferences through surveys, interviews, focus groups and other methods.
With your strong analytical abilities combined with an understanding of information technology systems principles, you will be able to provide valuable insights that inform decisions about product design, pricing strategies and marketing techniques.
Market Research Analyst Job Responsibilities
- Collect and analyze data on customer demographics, preferences, needs and buying habits.
- Interpret data, form conclusions and report findings to clients or management.
- Develop survey questionnaires and sampling plans for market research studies.
Market Research Analyst Median Salary$60,757 Annual
8. Computer programmer
Computer Programmer is an excellent career choice for someone with a Computer Information Systems degree. It involves writing code that instructs machines to carry out specific functions and tasks, as well as developing, testing, and debugging software applications. A programmer must be able to think logically and identify patterns in order to create efficient programs.
With their knowledge of computer programming languages, problem-solving skills, attention to detail, creativity and good communication abilities; computer programmers can make great contributions in the IT industry.
Computer programmer Job Responsibilities
- Write code to create software programs and applications.
- Test and document software for client applications.
- Develop user interfaces, ensuring that the design meets customer specifications and system requirements.
Computer programmer Median Salary$70,105 Annual
9. Web developer
A career in web development is a great option for someone with a Computer Information Systems degree. As a web developer, you will be responsible for the design, coding and maintenance of websites. You’ll work closely with clients to create visually appealing and functional websites that meet their specific needs.
Web developer Job Responsibilities
- Developing and maintaining website code.
- Testing websites for functionality, performance, and security.
- Collaborating with other professionals to ensure the success of a website project.
Web developer Median Salary$77,566 Annual
10. Freelance Consultant
A Freelance Consultant job is a great opportunity for those with a Computer Information Systems degree. As a consultant, you can leverage your knowledge of information systems and technology to help businesses reach their goals. You may use your skills in areas such as software development, system design, analysis, or project management.
Additionally, freelance consultants often have the ability to set their own schedule and work remotely. With this type of flexible working arrangement and technical expertise gained from having a CISM degree, being a freelance consultant could be an exciting career path for those looking to make an impact on the world’s ever-evolving digital landscape.
Freelance Consultant Job Responsibilities
- Develop and implement computer information systems strategies to meet business objectives.
- Monitor new trends in the technology sector and recommend improvements or modifications as needed.
- Analyze data from existing computer systems to identify potential areas of improvement.
Freelance Consultant Median Salary$63,143 Annual
11. Chief Technology Officer
A Chief Technology Officer (CTO) is an important role for those with a Computer Information Systems degree. A CTO is responsible for overseeing the implementation of technology solutions within an organization, from planning and design to execution.
They must possess strong technical knowledge and be able to communicate effectively both internally and externally. With a Computer Information Systems degree, one may have access to higher-level positions in this field, such as leadership roles or project management opportunities.
Chief Technology Officer Job Responsibilities
- Develop and manage overall technology strategy, policy, and standards for the organization.
- Evaluate emerging technologies to determine their potential impact on business operations and objectives.
- Lead IT projects that align with the organization’s long-term goals and strategic plans.
Chief Technology Officer Median Salary$172,894 Annual
12. Database Administrator
A Database Administrator is a great job to pursue if you have a Computer Information Systems degree. Database Administrators are responsible for creating and maintaining computer databases, ensuring the accuracy and reliability of data. They must possess strong technical skills, organizational skills, and problem-solving ability in order to be successful in this field.
With a Computer Information Systems degree, these professionals can use their knowledge of software development and networking systems to create efficient databases that help organizations store and manage large amounts of information effectively.
Database Administrator Job Responsibilities
- Design and implementation of database structures to ensure optimal performance.
- Monitoring the database system to ensure continuous availability and scalability.
- Proactively managing and troubleshooting any issues that arise in the database environment.
Database Administrator Median Salary$78,912 Annual
13. Business Systems Analyst
A Business Systems Analyst is a highly sought-after position with a computer information systems degree. By leveraging technology and data, the role provides organizations with valuable insight into current business processes and strategies to drive efficiencies.
As a Business Systems Analyst, you will be responsible for analyzing existing systems, identifying potential issues and developing solutions that increase efficiency within the organization. From mapping out workflows to system implementation, this versatile job requires strong technical skills as well as an understanding of business operations.
Business Systems Analyst Job Responsibilities
- Gather and analyze requirements from stakeholders to define system solutions.
- Design, develop and implement information systems to support business operations.
- Monitor the performance of existing applications and make necessary improvements.
Business Systems Analyst Median Salary$81,351 Annual
14. Video game designer
Video game design is an exciting career path for those with a degree in Computer Information Systems. With this degree, aspiring video game designers can gain the technical knowledge they need to create innovative and engaging gaming experiences.
This job requires problem-solving skills, creativity, and programming proficiency – all of which are taught within the coursework of a computer information systems program. Whether designing virtual worlds or creating immersive storylines, video game design offers creative professionals an inspiring outlet to express their imagination while utilizing their expertise in technology.
Video game designer Job Responsibilities
- Develop game concepts, storylines and characters.
- Design interactive features and gameplay mechanics.
- Create prototypes for testing and feedback from stakeholders.
Video game designer Median Salary$72,306 Annual
15. Information Security Specialist
A career as an Information Security Specialist is a great choice for individuals who have a degree in Computer Information Systems. As an Information Security Specialist, professionals are responsible for planning, implementing and managing security measures to protect organizations’ systems and data from malicious cyber-attacks.
In this role, they must understand the latest threats and trends in information technology while monitoring networks for potential risks or vulnerabilities. With their knowledge of computer systems, computing technologies and standards of internet safety, they can ensure that companies remain secure online.
Information Security Specialist Job Responsibilities
- Monitor and analyze security systems to identify risks and determine solutions for potential threats.
- Develop policies, procedures, and plans to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of data assets.
- Ensure compliance with federal laws or industry regulations related to data security management practices.
Information Security Specialist Median Salary$71,957 Annual
16. Operations Research Analyst
Operations Research Analysts use their analytical skills to help organizations solve complex problems and make better decisions. With a degree in Computer Information Systems, you can leverage your knowledge of computer programming, data analysis, and project management to develop effective strategies for businesses.
You’ll be able to apply the latest technology trends such as artificial intelligence, cloud computing, and machine learning in order to uncover strategic insights from large datasets. Additionally, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with teams across departments within an organization or even globally in order to succeed at task objectives and deliver innovative solutions that maximize business value.
Operations Research Analyst Job Responsibilities
- Developing and testing mathematical models to analyze data and identify solutions for operational problems.
- Interpreting data and presenting findings to management in written reports or verbal presentations.
- Ensure that the results of operations research are implemented efficiently and effectively.
Operations Research Analyst Median Salary$77,386 Annual
17. Quality Assurance Analyst
A Quality Assurance Analyst job is an ideal position for those who have a Computer Information Systems degree. This role involves ensuring that the software and services provided to customers are of high quality, reliable, and meet customer needs.
Quality assurance analysts assess current systems, identify problems in code or functionality, propose solutions to any issues, test new features developed by programming teams, develop processes to monitor performance metrics over time and more. They also provide recommendations on how existing processes can be improved while maintaining effective business operations.
Quality Assurance Analyst Job Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain quality assurance standards, test plans, protocols and process documentation.
- Execute automated and manual tests to ensure product functionality meets requirements.
- Analyze data to identify areas of improvement in products or processes.
Quality Assurance Analyst Median Salary$83,036 Annual
18. Network administrator
A Network Administrator job is a great potential career path for individuals with a Computer Information Systems degree. This job requires the ability to design and implement networks, provide maintenance and support services, identify security threats, and ensure compliance with company policies.
As a Network Administrator, you will be responsible for maintaining an organization’s computer systems as well as helping them maintain maximum effectiveness of their network environment. With your expertise in Computer Information Systems, you’ll be able to confidently manage any IT problem that comes your way.
Network administrator Job Responsibilities
- Configuring and monitoring network hardware such as switches, routers, and firewalls.
- Resolving connectivity issues between users and the network.
- Implementing new technologies to improve or maintain the performance of the company’s computer networks.
Network administrator Median Salary$63,342 Annual
19. Data analyst
A career as a Data Analyst is an ideal job for someone with a Computer Information Systems degree. This position requires analytical skills, the ability to interpret data and knowledge of database software and web technologies.
As a Data Analyst, you will be responsible for gathering and analyzing information from various sources such as market research, surveys, customer feedback and financial reports in order to make predictions about future trends. With your Computer Information Systems degree, you will have the skills necessary to perform this role effectively.
Data analyst Job Responsibilities
- Collecting, organizing and analyzing data to identify patterns and trends.
- Examining databases to ensure accuracy of information.
- Developing strategies for data analysis and modeling techniques.
Data analyst Median Salary$66,688 Annual
20. Health Information Management Manager
Health Information Management Manager is a position that can be pursued with a degree in Computer Information Systems. This job entails overseeing the organization of health information systems and ensuring they are accurate and secure.
In this role, you may also be responsible for designing record system policies, conducting audits, training staff members on health information procedures, coding diagnoses and treatments, managing patient records databases and preparing reports based on collected data. With a degree in Computer Information Systems you have the necessary skills to pursue this career path.
Health Information Management Manager Job Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain health information systems to ensure accuracy, privacy, and security of patient data.
- Manage the release of medical records in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Oversee staff involved in coding diagnoses and procedures for billing purposes.